SLEEP APNEA TREATMENT
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that causes a person’s breathing to be interrupted while sleeping. People with this condition stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep. There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea is the more common type, and happens when the soft tissue in the back of the throat relaxes during sleep, causing the airways to become blocked, leading to snoring.
- Central Sleep Apnea is less common and involves the central nervous system, rather than an airway obstruction. It happens when the brain fails to signal the muscles that control breathing. People with this type of sleep apnea rarely snore.
- Complex Sleep Apnea is a combination of the two types of sleep apnea.
If left untreated, sleep apnea prevents you from getting a good night’s rest. When breathing is stopped, it jolts you out of your natural sleeping rhythm. This causes you to spend more time in light sleep, and less time in the restorative sleep that helps you to be energetic and productive the next day.
Consequences of Sleep Apnea include:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Slow reflexes
- Poor concentration
- Increased risk of accidents
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased risk of high blood pressure
- Increased risk of heart disease and stroke
- Weight gain
Signs & Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- Loud & chronic snoring
- Long pauses in breathing
- Choking, snorting or gasping during sleep
- Daytime sleepiness
- Waking up with dry mouth
- Headaches in the morning
- Restless sleep
- Frequent trips to the bathroom during sleep
Dr. Martin is pleased to offer a new service to help his patients treat their Sleep Apnea. The Emerson EMA and the TAP appliance are great alternatives to the C-PAP machine.
EMA & TAP Devices
These devices are simple, patient-friendly, and most importantly, effective. The EMA and TAP devices treat sleep apnea by opening the bite and gently moving the mandible forward. This clears the airways to reduce snoring and improve breathing, and the quality of sleep.
Our patients who have tried these devices have been very pleased with the results. Make an appointment today to see if you could benefit from one of our sleep apnea devices.